Sunday, January 3, 2010

Top Books of 2009

Inspired by my friend Jason Tatum I decided to share with the blogosphere my list of the best books I read in 2009. Here they are, in no particular order - oh and I couldn't narrow it down to five, so here are the top six, in no particular order:

* What's So Amazing About Grace? - Philip Yancey
I bought this book like eight years ago and finally got around to reading it. Wonderful book about a most - if not the most - important topic.

* South of Broad - Pat Conroy
I love all of Pat Conroy's books. Prince of Tides and My Losing Season remain my favorites, but his long-awaited newest novel did not disappoint.

* A Return to Modesty - Wendy Shalit
I can't stop talking about this wonderful book. Every woman and everyone who knows a woman should read it. Every campus minister and every parent should read it twice.

* Axiom - Bill Hybels
A must-read and must-own for anyone who leads anything. I expect to return to this little treasure for years to come.

* Sex God - Rob Bell
Truth on a most important topic told in Bell's conversational style. Especially great for explaining the Christian view of sexuality to younger folks.

* Down Town - Ferrol Sams
A fictional book written about my home town of Fayetteville, GA by our finest local author. I also highly, highly recommend his "Sambo trilogy" (Run with the Horsemen, The Whisper of the River, and When All the World was Young), also autobiographical fiction about Sams' life growing up in Fayette County. I read those last year.

Also, i have to mention the following two books, which are recommendable to certain niche audiences:

* Countdown to Sunday - Chris Erdmans
Invaluable little devotional book for anyone who dares to attempt the art of preaching or biblical teaching. Excellent.

* Be Prepared; A Practical Handbook for New Dads - Gary Greenberg and Jeannie Hayden
Must-have for new dads. It's probably pretty entertaining for just about anyone, actually - especially former Boy Scouts. Thanks Matt S. for the recommendation.

Check these books out and please tell me about any must-reads that you enjoyed in 2009. Happy reading in 2010.

p.s. Shout out to WIRED magazine. Just a great magazine, even for the not-very-tech-savvy like myself.

1 comment:

  1. Nathan,
    What's So Amazing About Grace? is one of my all time favorites and I really enjoyed South of Broad this year too! Have you read Yancey's "Prayer"? Also great! I am going to add A Return to Modesty to my list :) I have enjoyed the pictures of sweet Elsa so much! Tell Erin hello for me!

    ReplyDelete