Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Baby Blessings ... and More Photos - 1 Sept. 2009

So before we get to the latest photos, I wanted to thank you all for the incredible outpouring of love, support, and encouragement that we have received during this time. It means so much to us to know that our little one is and will continued be surrounded by love and carried along on a river of prayer. I also would like to share some of the things that are running through my head over and over during these first few days of Elsa's life.

A couple of months back, my pastor/mentor/friend back home, Dr. Jim Donovan, told me to get ready because I was "about to become more and more like a potted plant". And it's true - when people call or drop by now, I have no illusions that they are interested in talking to me. And you know what? I'm totally fine with that. This little girl deserves all of the attention she's getting and more. If I didn't have a couple of other things to do, and people to share her with - and if she didn't have to eat - I would totally just sit and stare at her for hours on end. No joke. I've experienced this feeling to a small degree with the babies of loved ones, but now that we have one of our own, it's taken to an entirely different level. "Smitten" doesn't do it justice.

Something else I keep thinking is something my uncle Bert told me in an email (and I'm not sure if this is a Bert original, or if he's quoting someone). He said, "The days are long but the years are short with little ones. Treasure every minute." And that's what I'm trying to do. Every time I hold her, every time she does something new, I'm just trying to be like Mary and treasure all of these things in my heart.

Another thing that has been really helpful to hear was something my teammate Heath said to me the other day. He said, "We [the rest of the El Pozo staff] have everything under control. You just enjoy your daughter." I'm SO thankful for our awesome teammates and for the paternity leave that CMF allows me to have. I know not every dad gets to spend this much time with his babies during the very first days. So I'm trying to do just what Heath said - enjoy this precious time with Erin and Elsa.

And last but not least, today I heard some song lyrics that make a wonderful blessing for a newborn. And I know you'll all be shocked to hear this, but the lyrics are from a U2 song. For the first time in a year or more, I popped in the "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" disc, and in the song "Love and Peace or Else" I heard, really for the first time, these awesome words:

As you enter this life
I pray you depart
With a wrinkled face
And a brand new heart

I'm not going to lie - those words just made me cry a little bit. Because I don't know how to better sum up my desires and prayers for this precious little girl. It has become my theme prayer for little Elsa Lynne. A long and full life that goes on far beyond mine, complete with the abundance and newness of life that comes only through a deep, daily relationship with her Creator and Savior and Lord.

She's Yours, Lord. Please help me to play my role in a way that pleases and honors You!

Okay, more pics. (My mom requested some in which her eyes are actually open.) I hope you guys enjoy looking at these pics 1/1,000th as much as we are enjoying living the moments that they attempt to capture.



Lucho reaches out in relationship. Although his deep love of wrestling means that we have to keep a close eye on him around the baby, we have high hopes that Lucho and Elsa will develop a beautiful friendship as time goes on.



So for those of you who saw the tree we painted on the wall of the baby room and wondered about the one leaf that was different than all of the rest, now you know. It's an ELM leaf... I know, we are such dorks.



We thought this was super-cute, the way she folded her hands while sleeping.



Another sweet one.



Eyes open - here you go, mom.



Another fun one.



My new favorite hobby - staring at the little one.



Sweet one.



Holding hands and looking like a Jedi.

2 comments:

  1. You have a beautiful daughter in really cute photos. Ya know, it turns out the ugly genes aren't passed on by the father and that mom does win out now and again. haha! ;) I hope all is well with everyone in the McDade family and wish you the best from Lara and me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is beautiful! I think she goes to the same hair stylest as Mary Beth! We can't wait to meet her.

    ReplyDelete