Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Free Refills is a Christian Principle



I think one of the greatest things about the USofA – and this is corroborated by my international friends who visit the States – is FREE REFILLS! Just about anywhere you go to eat, not only can you get free ice water, but if you buy any other drink it’s all-you-can-drink for that one price. It’s a beautiful thing! To the foreigner it seems like reckless and extravagant generosity. To those of us who grew up spoiled on this privilege – and to anyone who has seen the numbers on the profit margins on those drinks – it just seems like basic courtesy, the least the restaurant owners can and should do. So on my most recent trip to the USA, while enjoying tasty, bottomless cups of Mountain Dew and sweet tea, I realized that there’s a spiritual parallel here. That’s right: Free refills is absolutely a Christian principle! Why? Because our God is the God of free refills! The “living water” of His Spirit and presence with us is also bottomless, never runs dry (nor does it run out of carbonation or flavor syrup), and is offered freely to any and all patrons of His restaurant (which is open 24/7 and has unlimited seating)! Paying another $1.95 for that second glass of tea? That is Law, baby. Soooo Old Testament. That’s how religion works. But my God is about relationship. He’s more like the good host who serves cold drinks and just keeps ’em coming all day long. My God wants my cup to overflow and get all over everyone around me. My God says I can fill my tank with His Spirit any time, anywhere, and that there’s nothing I have to or could ever do to quench my spiritual thirst other than turn toward Him and gratefully hold up my empty cup once again.
-------------
Shame on these people:

No comments:

Post a Comment